In the military, personnel fold underpants using the Ranger Roll method. It is an excellent way to keep everything neat and organized. When they wake up in the early morning, they would not have to waste any time rummaging through their drawers for a pair of underwear.
It is such a great method that they use it for other clothing items too. You can find military-rolled shirts, pants, socks and underwear folding methods below.
Keep reading to learn how to fold underwear military style.
Table of Contents
- Fold Boxers Military Style
- Other Ways to Fold Underwear
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Fold Boxers Military Style
Even though most things are difficult in the military, it is simple to ranger roll underwear. In the step-by-step guide here, we will walk you through how it is done.
Step 1: Smoothen your boxers
Lay your boxer briefs on a clean and flat surface, face-up. Then, run your hands through it to smooth out any creases and wrinkles.
Step 2: Flip and Pull Down the Waistband
To fold boxers briefs, grab the waistband and flip it inside out. Once you have done this, you should see the inner side.
Next, pull the waistband down 5 cm (2 in) from the top. See to it that the waistband is at the same point around the entire pair of boxers. In addition, flatten and smooth out any creases and wrinkles.
Step 3: Fold the Left Leg
Take the left leg of the boxer briefs and fold it inward, towards the center. The edge should rest on the center and in between the two legs.
Step 4: Fold the Right Leg
Now, take the right left and fold it inward, overlapping the center and reaching the left side. You can rest the edge on the opposite edge of the boxers.
That being said, make sure the two edges form a straight line. You should flatten and smooth out any creases and wrinkles again.
Step 5: Roll Upwards and Towards the Waistband
Take the bottom of the boxers with both hands. Slowly roll it upwards, towards the waistband. It is important that you keep the fabric tight.
Re-adjust your hands whenever the roll feels uneven or loose and press down with moderate pressure once in a way to push out any air in the folds.
Step 6: Tuck and Secure the Rolled Portion
After getting a firm roll in step 5, hold the rolled portion in one hand and use your other hand to hold the waistband open.
Then, tuck the rolled portion inside the waistband. Secure it inside by pulling the waistband down a bit. That’s how you get a rolled-up folded underwear pack.
Other Ways to Fold Underwear
There are other methods that you can try for mens’ underwear packaging:
Method 1: Compact roll underwear for packing
- Place the boxer briefs on a flat, clean surface. It should be facing up, with the crotch section visible. Smooth out any creases and wrinkles.
- Pick up the left leg and fold it over to the middle of the briefs. The outer edge should rest right at the line between the two legs. Make sure that after the fold, everything is still flat and crease- and wrinkle-free.
- Grab the right leg and fold it over the middle of the briefs to the left side. It should overlap until it reaches the opposite edge and the two edges should make a straight line without the bottom or top overlapping.
- Take the waistband and fold it down. You need to bring it to the halfway point of the boxers. But ensure that the underwear is not shifted following the fold.
- Grasp the bottom half of the briefs in one hand, and, at the same time, push the waistband open with your other hand. Fold the bottom upwards and tuck it into the waistband.
- Just keep tucking the fabric in until the waistband forms the boxer’s bottom line and you get a neat square.
- To finish, press down on the boxer briefs to flatten it and ensure it is free of creases and wrinkles.
Method 2: Box-shaped folding
- Do the same thing you would in the Ranger Roll method or Method 1 above.
- Fold the underwear in half by picking up the left leg and folding it over to the right leg. Both edges should meet in a straight line.
- Grab the left leg and fold it to the right to divide the underwear in half again. Then, smooth the fold out so the ends meet in a straight line. The crotch section will still be pointing outward slightly, but don’t worry.
- Alternatively, you can flip the underwear 90 degrees to the left. The crotch section will point down, so you will fold it up rather than to the right.
- Grab the crotch section and fold it up into a third. Repeat this once more so the crotch will meet the waistband. To finish, press down on the boxer briefs to get rid of air between the folds and creases, wrinkles, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why Should You Ranger Roll Underwear?
The ranger roll folding is among great underwear folding hacks due to several reasons:
- This is the best way to pack underwear for travel to save space and baggage fees.
- It is easy to do it, and once you know the steps, you can do it quickly.
- You can fold underwear small or large ones.
- You can even fold toddler underwear this way.
How to fold boxer shorts military style?
You can fold boxer shorts using the Ranger Roll method we described above. If you often practice and get used to the process, you can fold military roll shorts in under 3 minutes!
How do you fold underwear in the Air Force?
You ranger-roll all your clothing items in the Air Force, including your underwear. This is sometimes also called a military roll or Army roll (Despite being used across service branches!)
You can get a compact roll with this method. It is easier than other methods like folding undies into a rose.
What’s the best way to fold boxer briefs?
The best way to fold boxer briefs is using the Ranger Roll method. You can easily and quickly fold your underwear this way.
Ranger rolling underwear is easy and quick to keep your undies neat and organized. Or you can choose among the methods above, whichever is the most convenient for you.
Feel free to message us if you have any questions. And do not hesitate to share this article to help others learn how to fold underwear military style.
I am Everett Bledsoe, taking on the responsibility of content producer for The Soldiers Project. My purpose in this project is to give honest reviews on the gear utilized and tested over time. Of course, you cannot go wrong when checking out our package of information and guide, too, as they come from reliable sources and years of experience.